5 Things You Need To Know About Paint Protection Film on Your Tesla Model 3, Y, S and X
In this blog, we will cover 5 factors to consider when searching for paint protection film (PPF) for your Tesla. We will also explain what PPF is, provide additional tips, caution against potential issues, and discuss what to expect when having PPF applied to your Tesla.
1. What Is Paint Protection Film and Why Is It Important To Have On Your Tesla?
We should probably first start off by explaining what Paint Protection Film is and why its very important to consider getting in on your Tesla.
What is PPF/Clear Bra
Yes, Xpel Paint Protection Film (PPF) is a high-quality, clear polyurethane film that is designed to protect the paint on your Tesla from damage caused by rocks, debris, and other road hazards. It is applied to the painted surfaces of the car, such as the hood, fenders, mirrors, and door edges, to provide an extra layer of protection. The film is virtually invisible and is designed to absorb the impact of rocks and debris, preventing them from chipping or scratching the paint.
Xpel is known for its durability and has a 10 year warranty, making it a cost-effective option in the long run. It not only keeps the car looking new but also gives you peace of mind when driving on the road.
Why should I protect my Tesla
The car industry is growing at a rapid pace, and with it, the expectations for car paint quality. However, the reality is that the clearcoat on modern vehicles is thinner than ever before, making the paint more vulnerable to chipping over time. This is especially true for Teslas, as their low ride height and large, flat front ends make them more susceptible to damage from flying road debris.
Additionally, the wheels on Teslas protrude beyond the body panels, which can cause debris to hit the paint at high speeds, further damaging it. To protect the paint on your Tesla, it is crucial to consider using a paint protection film (PPF) such as Xpel to absorb the impact of debris and prevent chipping and scratches.
2. What Should You Look Out For When Getting PPF?
When searching for a professional to install Paint Protection Film (PPF) on your Tesla, it is essential to find someone who is skilled and experienced in the process. Choosing the wrong installer can result in damage to your vehicle that may be irreversible without a complete front-end repaint. This can also lead to mismatched paint finishes that will never match the factory finish.
To ensure that your Tesla is well taken care of, it is important to do your research and choose a reputable installer.
- When looking for a professional to install Paint Protection Film (PPF) on your Tesla, it’s important to find out how they cut out the film. One method is called “bulk” installation, where a large square section of film is applied to the car and then cut with a knife to remove the excess. This method can be risky, as it requires the installer to place a blade close to the paint, which could potentially cause irreparable damage.
- When choosing a Paint Protection Film (PPF) for your Tesla, it’s important to consider the warranty that is offered by the manufacturer. A good PPF should have at least a 10-year warranty against cracking or yellowing, which ensures that the film will remain clear and defect-free for several years.
- The installation of Paint Protection Film (PPF) on a vehicle is a meticulous process that requires a great deal of skill and experience. It’s important to choose an installer who is proficient in this craft and has a significant amount of experience. One way to gauge an installer’s experience is by asking how often they apply PPF.
- The cleanliness of the shop where Paint Protection Film (PPF) is installed is an important factor to consider. A clean and dust-free environment is crucial to ensure that the film is applied without any dirt, debris or dust particles that can affect the quality of the installation.
- When looking for a professional to install Paint Protection Film (PPF) on your Tesla, it is important to find an installer who takes the extra step to wrap the edges. Wrapping the edges involves applying the film to the extreme corners and edges of the vehicle, such as door handles, door edges, and mirrors. This ensures that the film is applied in a seamless and comprehensive manner, providing maximum protection to your vehicle.
3. What Paint Protection Film (PPF) Package should I get?
We offer many different options for PPF at ZJ Detailing, It all depends on the type of driving you do and the amount of protection you want on your Tesla. The Packages we offer are as follows: Partial Front, Full Front, Highway Package and Full Body PPF.
The most common package we sell on Teslas is our Highway Package. This is because Teslas are known for kicking up debris on the side of the vehicle creating many small chips that will eventually fade the paint. The Highway Package is a Full Front plus all rockers, behind rear bumper and partial A – Pillars.
The Second most common package is our Full Body PPF Package, this offers protection on every square inch of the vehicle and also even allows you to change the entire look of the car if you choose the Stealth/Matte PPF Package.
4. How Much is Paint Protection Film and Is It Worth It?
The cost of Paint Protection Film (PPF) installation can vary depending on several factors such as your location, the reputation of the installer, the installer’s experience, and the quality of the film being used. On average, the most common PPF package installed is the Full Front package, which typically ranges from $1,250 to $3,000. However, these prices can vary depending on the year, make, and model of your vehicle.
For Tesla vehicles, you can expect to spend between $1,750 and $2,500 for a Full Front PPF package. Keep in mind that prices may vary depending on the location, the reputation of the installer, and the quality of the film they use. It is always best to get a quote from a few different installers and compare the prices and services offered.
It is also important to note that while a lower price might be tempting, it’s always better to choose an installer who uses high-quality film and has a good reputation and experience to ensure the best protection and longevity of the film on your Tesla.
5. When should I Get Paint Protection Film (PPF) Put on My Vehicle?
Paint Protection Film (PPF) is an important investment for any vehicle, especially for Teslas, as they are known to be susceptible to chipping and scratches due to their low ride height and large, flat front ends.
It is always recommended to install PPF as soon as the vehicle is purchased. Everyday driving and washing can cause the paint to chip and scratch, which can decrease the car’s value by thousands of dollars. If the paint is chipped enough, it will have to be repainted by a body shop, and the painted panels will never match the original paint, resulting in a noticeable difference in the appearance of the vehicle.
On the other hand, replacing PPF on a panel is always cheaper than repainting it. It also comes down to personal preference, if you’re okay with the everyday road conditions affecting the look of your vehicle then PPF may not be for you. But for those who truly want to keep their vehicle looking brand new for as long as possible, PPF is a great option.
In short, PPF is a great investment to keep your Tesla’s paint looking brand new and to avoid costly repainting in the future, it’s important to consider it as soon as you purchase the car.
Why ZJ Detailing
At ZJ Detailing, we take pride in providing the highest quality Paint Protection Film (PPF) installation for your Tesla. We understand that PPF is not something to take lightly and we take all of our installs very seriously. Our team of professionals is dedicated to providing the best protection for your vehicle using industry leading cutting machine and custom PPF patterns.
When you choose ZJ Detailing, you can rest assured that your vehicle will be in good hands. We do all of our work in-house and never outsource to low-quality vendors like some other shops may do. We keep your vehicle safe within our facility and it stays there the entire time we work on it. We take the time to ensure that the job is done right the first time so that you don’t have to make multiple trips.
At ZJ Detailing, we prioritize quality over speed when applying PPF on your Tesla. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of craftsmanship and if we’re not satisfied with the result, we will work on it until it meets our high standards.
We are Ohio’s top automotive paint protection film, ceramic coating, and window tinting company, with locations in Dayton, Centerville, Beavercreek, Mason, Cincinnati, Greenville, Lima, Bellefontaine, Urbana, Springfield, Troy, and Piqua.